Thursday, September 11, 2008

remembering

As I was sitting with my coffee and peanut butter graham crackers this morning, I was reminded of being in 2nd period Spanish when a student came in and said, "A plane just flew into the World Trade Center."  
I laughed, "Dummy!" 
I was corrected, "Jenny, it was a huge plane, not some single-seater."  

Little did I know our world would change... How could I laugh? I feel no guilt for my stupidity, I became instantly sensitive, emotional and worried as I ran to the office to make sure my Mom knew and that my Dad, who was still on Base, was okay.  That day was wretched as I watched 'live' the second plane and heard of the rumors of other planes.  The footage is embedded in my brain and memory and I am grateful for the pain. It reminds me.

Lets take a moment, reflect on that day and the past years...and realize that we've been kept safe from other attacks. There have been serious threats and serious dangers and we've taken advantage of our freedom and easy-going-ness that allows us to work, play, shop, live, walk and survive in these dangerous times.  

Thank someone today for protecting this country and remember the soldiers who've died for terrorism and remember those who died innocently on September 11, 2001.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good stuff jen....we love ya

Anonymous said...

Amen. I was reminded all day, as I saw flags at half-staff all over town. I do remember and are thankful for freedoms. How dare we pretend to know what's best militarily? I sure don't.

Thank you, Jenny.